Mass in the Chapel
Regular Academic Mass & Sacrament Schedule
When class is in session on campus, join us for Mass in the Chapel:
- Monday-Friday at 12:05 PM & 5:00 PM
- Saturdays at 5:00 PM (Vigil)
- Sundays at:
Our Chapel is open for Mass with capacity restrictions and other modifications as outlined below.
- Reservations for Weekend Masses are available at: http://sjcnc.eventbrite.com beginning at 3:00 AM Mondays.
- Reservations are not required for Daily Mass or for the 9:00 AM OR 9:00 PM Sunday Masses.
- There remains no obligation to attend Sunday Mass at this time, especially for the sick or the elderly.
- Mass will continue to be live-streamed for the foreseeable future.
Mass Live Streams
Join us for Mass via our YouTube live-stream at https://www.youtube.com/uiucnewman
Distribution of Communion will be offered following Weekend Masses.
Altered Chapel Procedures
- As you can imagine, our liturgy needs to be adapted a bit to keep us safe and healthy. Some optional practices will be temporarily suspended and others modified.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to Mass as seating is limited. You (and your household) may take your seats in a designated pew; it may be necessary for an usher to show you to your seat. Please wear a face mask unless unable to do so for reasons of health.
- Among the changes to Mass, collection baskets will not be passed but a basket will be in the vestibule to receive your donations. Additionally, the offertory procession, the sign of peace, and the distribution of the Precious Blood will also be suspended.
- For Holy Communion, the following will be observed:
- Instructions will be shared before Mass and before Holy Communion.
- Distribution will take place at the head of the side aisles allowing the faithful to return to their pews by way of the main aisle. Those sitting in the back of the chapel will be the first to come forward. All must be careful to maintain 6’ of social distance.
- Before receiving, you will remove your face mask and sanitize your hands. You will approach the minister (who is standing behind plexiglass) and you will be given Holy Communion in the hand.
- If the minister makes inadvertent contact with any communicant, time is taken to purify and sanitize his/her hands before resuming distribution.
- After Mass, you will be given instructions on how to exit the chapel. Congregating/visiting inside is forbidden; doing so outside and away from the stairs is discouraged.
- After Mass, Holy Communion will continue to be distributed outside as has become our practice.
- While our chapel staff will attempt to take appropriate precautions consistent with the advice of public health authorities, patrons should understand that they assume the risk of contracting COVID-19 anytime they enter a public space since such precautions do not eliminate the risk of infection. Those who show signs of risk should not enter the church and should stay at home. This includes those who have a fever or flu-like symptoms, have recently traveled out of the country, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19. Additionally, those who are elderly or vulnerable are encouraged to remain at home.