SJCNC is Seeking a Capital Campaign Director
St John’s Catholic Newman Center, located in the heart of the University of Illinois campus, is seeking to hire a Capital Campaign Director to provide the leadership to launch, lead and complete a fundraising campaign to prepare our ministry and facility for its next century of serving Catholic Illini students on campus. For over a century, SJCNC has equipped college students at the University of Illinois for a lifelong connection to Christ and His Church, through the sacraments and a vibrant, inviting community.
This multi-million dollar campaign will provide for the repair, renovation, and restoration of the St John’s Chapel building and rectory, as well as sustained funding for Catholic Illini Ministry programs in the future. We are searching for a campaign director with excellent leadership skills and networking abilities. At the successful completion of the capital campaign, the Capital Campaign Director will have the opportunity to transition into a different role within the SJCNC Advancement office.
This person will report directly to the Head Chaplain and Director, and will take a hands-on approach to raising funds throughout the campaign. They will collaborate with Institutional Leaders including the Director of Advancement and the Director of Marketing & Communications to develop and monitor campaign revenue and expenses, and oversee and lead the strategic development, outreach tactics, and donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, acknowledgment and tracking for these capital campaign fundraising initiatives. Additional support for the campaign would be made available from outside consultant group(s) if needed.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about fundraising in a Catholic mission-based organization. They should be organized, energetic, and a self-starter, with proven experience in achieving campaign fundraising budget goals. This position is ideal for someone with ties to, and successful fundraising experiences on, the University of Illinois campus.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tell the story of St John’s Catholic Newman Center, engaging alumni, donors, and former residents.
- Develop a case for support.
- Plan, organizes and direct the overall aspects of the campaign, including preparing a campaign budget / goal / timeline / and providing status updates.
- Identifying, building, and building-on existing relationships with prospective individual donors across multiple sectors (UI alums, St John’s Chapel alums, Newman Hall alums, grateful parents, etc).
- Identify, cultivate, and invite membership on the campaign board, steering committee, volunteers, etc…and plan / coordinate those meetings.
- Develop and maintain campaign strategies, solicitation priorities, manages prospect lists, and executing targeted cultivation/solicitations.
- Coordinate / arrange visits on-site and off-site with donor prospects which may / may not include religious / lay staffers.
- Identify prospects and conduct research / encourage giving growth at the corporate foundation, family foundation, major gifts, memorial gifts, estate gifts, matching gifts, grants, workplace giving (and other potential new sources of giving) levels.
- Communicating with both external and internal groups related to the campaign, campaign goals, updates, etc.
- Writing and submitting strategic information/releases as required, along with writing funding proposals and submitting them to prospective donors.
- Provide leadership to create, edit, strategically implement, produce, and lead a comprehensive communications plan – and carry out that plan in harmony with the Director Advancement and Director of Marketing and Communications - related to the campaign (direct mail, publications/brochures, digital fundraising platforms, newsletters, events, donor meetings / visits, staff involvement, acknowledgments, follow-up letters, and campus / local news outlets), in order to bring awareness to the campaign needs.
- Well organized, proactive, and have the ability to inspire those around you.
- Ability to stay informed on ever-changing marketing strategies, and be comfortable doing prospect research on different sectors.
- Excellent public speaking skills and the ability to deliver presentations to a range of audiences.
- Ability to work independently AND as part of a team.
- Comfort with digital communication tools, including social media and mass emails.
- Working knowledge of donor database system(s).
- A motivated and creative problem-solver.
- Minimum 5 years of first-hand fundraising experience with demonstrated success in leading and completing a successful fundraising campaign.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
- Superior interpersonal / relationship building skills.
- Expert knowledge of campaign fundraising best practices.
- Proven excellence in written, verbal, email/text, customer service, and telephone communication skills (knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc).
- Proven track record of success in meeting work deadlines, building partnerships with stakeholders, and creating impactful donor experiences.
- Candidates will have an advantage if they have an appreciation and understanding of SJCNC’s mission, as well as the role that St John’s Chapel and Newman Hall have played on the University of Illinois campus for almost 100 years.
- Those candidates with existing relationships / connections with University of Illinois alumni, the Champaign-Urbana philanthropic community, Catholic Illini alums and their parents, along with successful campaign fundraising experience on the U of I campus, are a much-welcomed bonus.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Commitment to the cause.
- Results driven.
- Great decision making.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit.
- Taking Initiative.
- Relatability, the ability to tell compelling stories.
- Professional and personal etiquette.
- Office provided at SJCNC.
- Hours will vary, based upon visits / travel / events.
- Willingness to work before / after business hours and on weekends as required.
- Some travel required.
- Salary: $90,000 + benefits.
- Insurance: Medical. Dental. Vision.
- Life Insurance: Accidental death benefits.
- Vacation/Sick/Holiday Pay.
- Parking: provided.
- Meals: Lunch provided daily.
TO APPLY: Send letter of application, resume and 2 letters of recommendation to: Tristan.email@example.com